Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Fitness Goal: Made to Crave

Have you read the book Made to Crave?

I picked up a copy last year and it has sat on the shelf unread for a long time. But with my Fitness Goal this year, I knew I would need more than just trying to stick to a diet and exercising.  Don't get me wrong, those are both important and helpful, I've already started to loose weight. However, I think it's important to think about WHY you eat.

In looking at how I eat, I realize, I rarely eat out of hunger.  Instead, stress and my brain get in the way. For example last night, I opened a box of cookies.  I cannot get those cookies out of my head, now that the box is open and I know it, I'm probably going to finish it.  I'm craving them. Made to crave talks about how to use God to overcome those cravings.  It's divided into 21 days and is designed as something you can do with a group, since there are discussion questions at the end of each day's reading.  But I'm reading it on my own.

Stress is another trigger that I have for eating.  The other day, I ate 3-4 pieces of candy before I realized what I was doing!  It's really more mindless eating.  So I need to start being more intentional with what I am doing and watch so that I don't get to those 4 pieces of candy without realizing it.  So, going forward, I'm going to try to stop and think about what I eat.  Am I eating for the right reasons?  Am I really hungry? or is it just that the food is on my mind?  If it's not for the right reason, I'm going to try to not eat it.  If I can't get it out of my mind, I'm going to turn to God for help.

I love Lysa's book because she's really upfront about it.  She starts out by saying that she still doesn't crave carrots.  The realism helps me realize just how much I DO need God's help.

Now I realize that some people are wired differently and they need to eat even when they're not hungry, just so that their bodies have the necessary nutrition.  I'm NOT one of those people.

Why do you eat? Any other tips to get past the cravings? Have you read Lysa's book?  Check out their website.


No comments:

Post a Comment